Smooth and sophisticated, marble is guaranteed to bring a genuine touch of luxury to any bathroom. As part of our celebration of The Great British Bathroom, we’ll show you how to add elegance with marble products, along with some cost-effective ways to fake the look. You could even win a marble basin!
If you paid attention in Geology lessons, you’ll know that marble is a rock which is commonly used as a building material and for sculptures. Whilst marble comes in a range of colours from pure white to black, the typical veins and markings you see are due to mineral impurities such as iron oxides, sand and silt, adding a unique character to every piece of marble. Italy, China and India lead the way in marble production, producing nearly half of the world’s supply.
With its luxurious reputation, products which contain marble do tend to cost more than other materials, which is the very reason many people rule it out entirely when refurbishing their bathroom. However, there are some cost-effective ways to add genuine marble to your bathroom and some easy ways to fake the look, without breaking the bank.
What are the benefits of using marble in your bathroom?
With a smooth, polished surface which reflects light, marble will produce a super luxurious look, especially when paired with gold coloured taps, showers or accessories.
Whilst it can easily be used to create a contemporary setting, marble also has a classic edge to it. This versatility means it can be used in traditional bathrooms too. It can be easily worked into any design, complementing a wide and varied range of natural materials, especially wood.
Tactile and long-lasting, marble does need to be carefully cared for but can provide you with many, many years of use.
Whilst marble has been used in luxury bathrooms over a sustained period of time, it is emerging as an on-trend material for use in everyday homes. This is due to the increased use of pattern and texture in household interiors.
There is also an increasing trend towards natural and organic bathrooms, and marble lends itself perfectly to this look with unique patterns and textures, formed by nature.
Finally, with a smooth and uncomplicated finish, marble is ideal for minimalist bathrooms, helping to reproduce that spa-like feel in your own home.
Where can marble be used?
Whilst a full marble bathroom may be the preserve of the rich and the famous, there are some quick and easy ways to incorporate this luxurious material into your bathroom design.
One simple addition could be a marble basin. Whether you choose a countertop or vanity unit design, marble will provide an eye-catching feature, every time you wash.
If you’re working to a much tighter budget but still want that luxury feel, Marble accessories are relatively inexpensive and can be used to add those perfect finishing touches to your bathroom.
Faking it with marble effect materials
Of course, using marble throughout your bathroom can be incredibly expensive, especially if you’re trying to achieve a wall to floor finish. Thankfully, there are some cost-effective ways in which you can “fake” the look, which are just as effective as the real thing.
Tiles are a popular and hardwearing choice of wall and floor covering for bathrooms, and you’ll find plenty of faux marble ceramic designs in a range of colours. Laminate flooring and worktops for fitted bathroom furniture are also available in a variety of marble effect designs.
Shower wall panels are an even better choice, especially if you want to deck your whole bathroom out in marble. Wall panels come in a wide variety of faux marble designs and colours, from black through to white, and are quick and easy to install. They can be used right around your bathroom, even covering bath panels, for that all-over bathroom look. Providing a stunning visual element, they’re also low maintenance, hygienic and easy to clean.
Discover just how simple it is to fit shower wall panels with our handy video below.
Win your own marvellous marble
Entry to this prize draw is now closed and the lucky winner of the beautiful Mode Hale white and grey marble countertop basin (below) will be announced shortly. You can still view the terms at the bottom of this blog post.
Shop marble bathrooms
If you’ve been inspired to use marble or marble effect products in your bathroom, why not browse our selection by clicking on the image below?
The Great British Bathroom
Throughout 2019, we’ll be celebrating everything that’s great about British bathrooms. Be inspired, by heading to The Great British Bathroom page now.
Marble countertop basin prize draw terms & conditions
1. No purchase is necessary to participate in this prize draw.
2. Competition opens 00:00 on Wednesday 15th May 2018. Closing date for entries is 23:59 on Wednesday 29th May 2019.
3. To enter, you must follow the VictoriaPlum.com Instagram account (@VictoriaPlumUK), like the image marked “Marble countertop basin prize draw” on the VictoriaPlum.com Instagram account (@VictoriaPlumUK) and tag 3 friends in the comments for that image.
4. There is 1 (one) prize to be won. The winner will receive: 1 x Mode Hale white and grey marble countertop basin 430mm (MARBLEBAS01) plus free standard delivery.
5. The prize winner will be drawn at random using an online competition app from all valid entries. This will be done within 7 working days of the competition closing and the winner will be notified by email and/or letter as appropriate. If the prize remains unclaimed after 14 days of the notification being sent a new winner will be selected for the prize.
6. There is no cash alternative.
7. Installation is not included with this prize and must be arranged separately by the prize winner.
8. Only one entry per person.
9. Any duplicate email addresses or entries will be deemed void.
10. We reserve the right to feature the name and county of the prize winner in future publications and publicity. Offer open to UK, Channel Island and Isle of Man residents over 18 years old only.
11. Employees of VictoriaPlum.com, associated agents and anyone connected with this promotion are excluded from entering this competition.
12. VictoriaPlum.com reserves the right to withdraw or extend the time periods and notification dates for this competition at any time.
13. VictoriaPlum.com's decision over the validity of entries, prize winner and any other aspect of this competition are final and no correspondence will influence any final decision. Prize draw promoter: VictoriaPlum.com (Victoria Plum Ltd), Bridgehead Business Park, Hessle. HU13 0DG.
14. The prize will be supplied by VictoriaPlum.com.
15. Alternatively, users can enter via post. Send a postcard or letter containing your name, address, email address and contact phone number, along with your answer, to: Marble countertop basin prize draw, Social Media Dept, VictoriaPlum.com, Bridgehead Business Park, Hessle. HU13 0DG. One entry per person. Entry must reach VictoriaPlum.com before the closing date & time.