Underfloor heating is a great option when it comes to creating a clean, uncluttered and comfortable bathroom or wet room. In this buying guide, written in conjunction with leading underfloor heating suppliers Warmup, we'll show you exactly what you'll need for your installation.
Across the world, underfloor heating is only used in less than 5% of all homes, however, this number is on the increase, thanks in no small part to the rise of the smart home.
So what is underfloor heating? What are the benefits? What do you need when fitting underfloor heating in your bathroom? What type of floor can it be used with? We'll attempt to answer all these questions and more.
Jump to any of the sections by clicking on the links below:
- What is underfloor heating?
- What are the benefits of underfloor heating?
- What do I need to consider when installing an underfloor heating system in my bathroom?
- How much can I save with an underfloor heating system?
- What will I need when fitting underfloor heating in my bathroom?
- Which product should I choose?
- What type of floor can underfloor heating be used with?
- Warmup underfloor heating accessories
- Why choose Warmup?
- Warmup underfloor heating as part of the smart bathroom
- Shop Warmup underfloor heating
What is underfloor heating?
Underfloor heating is a heating system which, instead of using wall mounted radiators, uses wiring or piping which is installed beneath your flooring to warm your room.
What are the benefits of underfloor heating?
With a Warmup underfloor heating system, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Supreme comfort—reliable and consistent temperature
- Energy efficiency—require less energy, whilst providing accurate control
- Zoned temperature control—set temperature on a room by room basis
- Save money—spend around 10% less on heating bills
- Design freedom—no bulky radiators taking up wall space
- Health benefits—a reduction in humidity and dust circulation
- Safety—family-friendly with no hot surfaces or hard metal edges
- Flexibility—can be linked to any heat source
- Low maintenance—all components designed for long-lasting use
What's more, all Warmup underfloor heating systems we sell come with a lifetime warranty. There is also an optional extended lifetime warranty for the 4IE Smart WIFI thermostat. Plus, with Warmup's SafetyNet™ installation guarantee, if your system is damaged during the installation process, Warmup will replace it free of charge.
What do I need to consider when installing an underfloor heating system in my bathroom?
- Bathrooms can often be prone to heat loss, more than other rooms in the home. Therefore, you may need to choose a system with a higher output.
- Ensure that proper waterproofing and drainage is in place before you begin.
- Make sure you choose the appropriate system that is compatible with your chosen flooring (see below).
- By using Warmup insulation boards, this could help lower your running costs by up to 50%.
How much can I save with an underfloor heating system?
Unlike traditional heating systems, which simply heat every room within your whole property, Warmup underfloor heating allows you to heat individual rooms to their optimum temperature and duration. For example, you could heat your bathroom for a few hours in the morning, rather than all day.
Your running costs will, of course, vary depending on room size, running time and insulation. However, the table below, should give you a good idea:
Assumptions: House built to Part L regulations, using 150W/sq. m mats, covered by min 10mm self-levelling latex. Temp difference between "on" and "standby" is 5°C. Floor coverage consistent to property size (e.g. 5 sq. m of heating for a 4 sq. m room). Heat-up time included in hours "on". Controlled by a Warmup thermostat, price per kWh is 11.61p. Based on average energy costs Nov 2018.
What will I need when fitting underfloor heating in my bathroom?
To heat a typical bathroom measuring 4 sq. m, you will need the following:
- Underfloor heating system (e.g. Warmup Loose Wire undertile heating system)
- Thermostat (e.g. 4iE Smart WiFi thermostat)
- Insulation boards (x 6)
Whilst costs may vary, on the date of publication, this cost a total of £152.10 + £134.10 + £107.94 = £394.14.
Which products should I choose?
At VictoriaPlum.com, we stock 4 main Warmup heating systems:
StickyMat underfloor heating mat
- Ideal for square or rectangular-shaped bathrooms and for rooms with high heat loss
- Suitable for all floor types
- Quick and easy to install, contains a simple roll out mat with pre-spaced wires
- Can be laid in parallel runs for great coverage
- At just 1.8mm it is super-thin, meaning no change in floor level
- Made from sturdy glass fibre mesh with pressure sensitive adhesive
- Available in a range of sizes and either 150W or 200W output
- You should always choose a size smaller than your floor area, not bigger
Warmup Loose Wire undertile heating system
- A good choice for small and irregular bathroom layouts
- Suitable for ceramic, tiled or stone floors
- Can be manoeuvred around fixtures for flexibility
- 1.8mm cable—one of the thinnest on the market—means no differences in floor height
- Can be fitted directly beneath your floor covering
Warmup Foil heater underfloor heating system
- Ideal for large or regular-shaped rooms
- Suitable for soft floor coverings like vinyl, laminate or carpet, as well as floating wood floors
- 140W output
- Reinforced aluminium foil spreads heat evenly across the floor
- Fits easily around objects for easy planning and installation
- Super-thin foil system means no raise in floor levels
- No self-levelling needed—install directly under the floor finish
Warmup DCM Pro underfloor heating system
- A good choice for irregular bathroom layouts
- Quick and easy to install
- Suitable for all types of flooring
- Wire is easy to bend and clip in place, with no need for tools
- Convenient sizing: 2 sq. m of wire fits 2 sq. m of mat and vice versa
- Adjust spacing to increase/decrease heat coverage and output
- Mat contains self-adhesive backing attaching to sub floor
- Self-healing membrane prevents damage to flooring from any sub floor movement
- Fits easily around objects for easy planning and installation
You will also need a thermostat to control your heating system. The following products are suitable for use with all Warmup underfloor heating systems.
Warmup Tempo underfloor heating thermostat
- Easy-to-use controller with dial and slide functions
- Clear screen displaying program details
- Simply program your heating to suit individual requirements
- Learns the time taken to warm the room and activates the heating early so it is the right temperature when needed
- Comes in piano black or white
Warmup 3iE underfloor heating thermostat
- Large, full colour screen
- Control usage for all rooms with up to 10 programmable heating schedules
- Self-learning technology tells you when to turn on to achieve the perfect temperature
- Energy-monitoring helps you control and manage your energy usage and costs
- Unrivalled accuracy
- Comes in piano black, classic cream or silver grey or bright porcelain
Warmup 4iE wifi heating controller
- Simple to set up with no need for programming
- Large full colour touchscreen
- Control using the screen or using the MyHeating app on your phone or tablet
- Uses SmartGeo to learn your routines and efficiently control your heating, reducing usage by up to 25%
- EasySwitch technology finds the best energy tariffs and can switch for you saving both time and money
- Provides real time traffic and public transport information to help you plan your day
- Also works with central heating systems with a switch live input
- Comes in onyx black or bright porcelain
You'll also find a range of approved accessories, which will help with both installation and improve the performance of your underfloor heating.
Warmup underfloor heating insulation board
- For use with Warmup Loose Wire and StickyMat underfloor heating systems
- Provides excellent insulation, enhancing the performance of your underfloor heating
- Tiles can be placed directly on top
- Available in 6mm or 10mm thickness
- See table below for number of boards required for your room size
What type of floor can underfloor heating be used with?
You can use Warmup underfloor heating with the following types of floor:
Just check the specific system you choose is compatible with your specific floor finish by viewing the table below:
Warmup underfloor heating accessories
Why not add to your bathroom these great accessories, designed to work with your Warmup underfloor heating system:
Heated towel rails
Made from high quality stainless steel, the Warmup range of heated towel rails are sleek and sophisticated—the perfect addition to any designer bathroom. With no liquids, there's zero maintenance required and they work directly from your Warmup thermostat.
Perfect vision is yours in an instant with a Warmup mirror demister. Quick and easy to install, a self-adhesive film fits onto the back of your mirror and can be operated automatically from the light switch or a separate switch. An energy-efficient product, the running cost is equivalent to a single light bulb.
Why choose Warmup?
Warmup are one of the leading specialist manufacturers and suppliers of underfloor heating systems, having sold more than 2.5m in over 70 countries worldwide.
Warmup offer full technical support. If you have any issues, call their 24 hour technical support line on 0845 345 2288.
Designed and manufactured in world-class facilities with a reputation for innovation, quality and reliability.
All products come with reassuring warranties, including the SafetyNet™ installation guarantee, meaning that if your system is damaged during the installation process, Warmup will replace it free of charge.
Warmup underfloor heating as part of the smart bathroom
Warmup underfloor heating isn't the only smart bathroom product we stock. Click on any of the links below to discover our full range of smart showers, taps, entertainment, lighting and more:
Shop Warmup underfloor heating
Now that you have all the knowledge you'll need, why not browse our comprehensive range of Warmup underfloor heating systems and thermostats?