One of the easiest ways to create an on-trend bathroom is to add greenery. In this blog post with handy video, I’ll show you how to make a terrarium, a quick and simple way to introduce plant life to your space, bringing a touch of the outdoors indoors.
A terrarium normally contains a few decorative plants in an enclosed transparent environment. You can purchase everything you need from a local garden centre or in handy kits which you can find online.
In this video we show you just how easy it is to create your very own, one-of-a-kind terrarium.
Things you’ll need:
- A clear container (large enough to hold your chosen plants)
- Plants of your choice
- Potting soil
- Activated charcoal
- Draining stones
- Small pebbles
Here’s how to make your own terrarium
- Once you have chosen your container, cover the bottom with a layer of draining stones. Small pebbles will also work. This will act as drainage for your terrarium.
- Sprinkle the moss. This will help to balance the moisture within your terrarium.
- Now add a thin layer of activated charcoal. This will keep water fresh as well as help fight bacterial growth.
- Add potting soil. Any mix will do, although depending on what plants you use, you can find specific mixes for succulents and cacti. You want a depth of at least 2 inches, enough for your plants to root into.
- Make a small hole in the soil and starting with your largest plant remove from the pot. Tidy its roots and place it in the terrarium. Repeat this with your other plants until you are happy with the arrangement.
- Press the soil down firmly once all the plants are in place.
- Add another layer of small pebbles to cover the soil. You can complete this look with larger objects like stones, pieces of wood and small trinkets—it’s completely up to you.
Congratulations, you’ve created your own terrarium.
To care for your new terrarium, be sure to water the base every 2 weeks, or sooner if the soil looks dry. You should display your terrarium in a place that gets lots of bright, indirect sunlight.
More great ideas for your bathroom
If you’re seeking further inspiration, why not head to our bathroom ideas page, where we’ve got hundreds of incredible styles, designs and projects for you to try. Or why not subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking the button below, for fresh, inspirational bathroom videos every single week!