If you've been left with spare bathroom tiles after your renovation project, could you use them outside? We found out...
When the time comes to revamp your bathroom (or your kitchen for that matter), one thing you will always tend to do is purchase too many tiles. But don’t worry. Buying slightly more tiles than needed is the recommended course of action, due to the breakages which can occur during the tiling process. Plus, it's always handy to keep hold of spares from the same batch, just in case you need to replace a damaged tile in the future.
However, if you have boxes and boxes of tiles left cluttering up your shed or garage, you’ll probably want to do something useful with them, instead of dumping them at your local tip (if you’re anything like me, I hate seeing perfectly good products go to waste!). So, this begs the question, can bathroom tiles be used outside?
Can bathroom tiles be used outside?
The short answer is yes, you can use bathroom tiles outside, but there are some things to consider.
The type of tile. Not all bathroom tiles are created equal. Some are more durable and weather-resistant than others. Porcelain tiles are generally the best option for outdoor use, as they are strong, non-porous and resistant to staining and fading. Ceramic tiles can also be used outdoors, but they are not as durable as porcelain tiles. At Victoria Plum, you’ll find a stylish selection of outdoor tiles, specifically designed for just this purpose (which we’ll speak more of below).
The location of your tiles. If you’re planning to use bathroom tiles in an area that gets a lot of foot traffic, such as a patio or walkway, you will need to choose a tile that is slip-resistant. You may also want to consider using a grout that is specifically designed for outdoor use.
The maintenance requirements. Outdoor tiles require more maintenance than indoor tiles. You will need to clean them regularly and seal them every few years to protect them from the elements. If you’re considering using bathroom tiles outside, it’s important to weigh up the pros and cons carefully.
Pros of using bathroom tiles outside
First off, let’s take a look at the potential advantages of using bathroom tiles outside.
- Durability: Bathroom tiles are made to withstand moisture and wear and tear, making them a good choice for outdoor areas.
- Easy to clean: Bathroom tiles are also easy to clean, making them a low-maintenance option for outdoor spaces.
- Slip-resistant: Bathroom tiles with a good slip-resistance rating can help to prevent slips and falls, which is important in wet or icy conditions, or for locations where elderly people may walk or young children will play.
- Versatile: Bathroom tiles come in a variety of colours, styles and sizes, so you can find the perfect look for your outdoor space.
Cons of using bathroom tiles outside
- Suitability: Bathroom tiles are made primarily with indoor environments in mind and some are only suitable for use on walls. Therefore, it might make more sense on choosing a specialist outdoor material for any external walls, walkways or patios.
- Cost: Bathroom tiles can prove more expensive than other types of outdoor flooring materials.
- Installation: Bathroom tiles may prove more difficult and time-consuming to install outdoors, which can add to the cost if you are using the services of a Trade professional.
- Maintenance: Bathroom tiles need to be sealed regularly to protect them from the elements. Extreme weather, not to mention exposure to frost and sunshine, can severely test the durability of your tiles.
- Voiding guarantees: Many bathroom tiles come with a guarantee, however, by using them outdoors, you may void this, meaning there’s no comeback if you discover any manufacturing defects.
How to use bathroom tiles outside
If you decide to use bathroom tiles outside, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose a durable type of tile, such as porcelain
- Have the tiles professionally installed
- Seal the tiles regularly to protect them from the elements.
- Choose a slip-resistant grout
If you are considering using bathroom tiles outside, we’d highly recommend contacting a professional tiler. They will be able to check whether your tiles are suitable and ensure they are installed properly. With proper care, bathroom tiles can add beauty and durability to your outdoor space for many years to come.
Buy outdoor tiles at Victoria Plum
If you are thinking of doing some DIY in your garden or back yard, you’ll be delighted to know that, here at Victoria Plum, we stock a fabulous selection of outdoor porcelain tiles.
With a selection of sizes and a choice of stone or wood-effect finishes, these high quality porcelain tiles feature the following characteristics:
- Algae and moss-resistant
- Easy to clean
- High slip resistance
Everything you’d ever need from outdoor tiles! If this sounds just the type of thing you’re after, why not browse our outdoor tile range today?
And, while you're at it, here's another bright idea... discover our exceptional range of outdoor lighting from EGLO.
Shop kitchen and bathroom tiles
No matter where you’re planning on using them, here at Victoria Plum, you’ll find a huge selection of stunning kitchen and bathroom tiles at highly competitive prices.
All our tiles are manufactured to the highest of standards, with a fabulous choice of designs, from bright, colourful metro tiles to gorgeous stone and wood-effect tiles. And, if you’d like to test the quality for yourself, we’ll also send you 3 samples of your choice, completely free of charge.
Simply click below to begin browsing.
More tiling ideas and advice
If you’re still considering what to do with your spare tiles, or simply at the planning stage, you’ll find all our bathroom tiling ideas in one handy place. Why not check out our tiles image gallery for some much-needed inspiration or discover how to use metro tiles in different and unusual patterns.
Thinking of taking a DIY approach? Read our easy-to-follow guide on how to tile, which will explain everything you need to know about this task. We’ll explain how to work out how many tiles you need, and answer your frequently asked questions about tiles.
In fact, if you have a burning question about tiles, it’s highly likely we have an answer to it! Simply head to our bathroom advice section or search our site for further help with your tiling project.