When you’re considering buying tiles, the first question you’ll need to ask yourself is “how many tiles do I need?”. In this handy guide, we’ll show you how to work this out quickly and easily.
Tiles remain one of the most popular wall and floor coverings for bathrooms and kitchens throughout the UK. With a wide variety of wall tiles and floor tiles in a range of widths and lengths, they are absolutely ideal. However, working out exactly how many you need can sometimes cause headaches and, at worst, could mean holding up your project.
At Victoria Plum, you’ll find a handy tile calculator on every tile product page to help you work out the number of tiles you'll need and, in this article, we’ll show you how to use this. Simply watch this short video first and follow the steps below.
How many tiles do I need?
Here’s how to work out how many tiles you’ll need using our tiling calculator, in simple, easy-to-follow steps.
- Find the tiles that you like on our website and then use our handy tile calculator to help you with your planning.
- If you already know the total area in metres squared (width x length), you can input that here. This then calculates how many boxes of your chosen tiles you will need and also the total cost.
- If you don’t know the total area in metres squared, simply measure each area you wish to tile (width and length). Then input the area size into the tiling calculator, adding your measurements into the width and length boxes.
Handy hint: Find out how to measure your bathroom with our handy guide.
- You can add further measurements or area sizes using the “add another area” button.
- Don’t forget to add 10% for trimming and accidental damage (known as wastage), by checking the tick box.
- Hit the “calculate” button to get your metres squared, as well as the number of boxes required and the cost.
Now you’ve answered the question “how many tiles do I need?”, why not browse our huge range today? You’ll discover amazing wall tiles, hardwearing floor tiles, tiling tools and more, all at low prices. Simply click on the image below to begin.
Your most frequently asked questions
How do I calculate how many tiles I need?
At Victoria Plum, you’ll find a handy tile calculator on all our tile product pages. Simply add in the wall or floor dimensions for your project to find out how many you need. Head to our tiles page now to calculate how many tiles you need.
How many tiles do I need per square metre?
The number you need will depend on the size of the tiles you choose, plus the width and length of the area which you need to cover. On each tile product page at Victoria Plum, the calculator is set to the individual size of the tile, working out exactly how many you’ll need per square metre. Simply enter the width and length of the area you wish to tile.
More tiling tips and resources
Whether you’re a dab hand at DIY or hiring someone to do the job for you, we have loads of expert tiles advice, right here at Victoria Plum. Most of our guides contain an easy-to-follow video and step-by-step instructions. Simply click on any of the links below.
- Tiles buying guide
- How to tile
- How to replace a damaged tile
- How to remove old grout from tiles
- How to regrout tiles
- How to drill through a tile
- How to clean tiles
Searching for tile inspiration? Why not check out some these fabulous tile ideas and find the tiles you need.
- Tiles inspiration gallery
- Stylist’s Selection: 9 stylish wall and floor ideas for bathrooms
- 5 things to consider when choosing your bathroom tiles
- Small Spaces: Small bathroom tile ideas
- 5 exciting and unusual ways to use tiles in your bathroom
- 6 more bathroom tile ideas that'll capture your imagination