The toilet. Virtually everyone in the UK has at least one, and sometimes two, in their home. However, many of us simply don’t realise what an incredible invention the toilet was and how it revolutionised the way we live.
So let us take you on a journey from the very earliest water closets, through Victorian bathrooms and onwards to ultra-modern toilet designs, like those at VictoriaPlum.com, as we explore the history of the toilet.
We should never take our toilets for granted. 2.5 billion people throughout the world STILL don’t have access to a clean toilet and face a daily struggle for proper sanitation. To learn more about this, please visit the World Toilet Day website.
Want to know more about the history of bathrooms and the products they contain? Click on any of the links below to find out.
- A brief history of the toilet
- A brief history of bathrooms - From the tin bath to indoor loos
- Why do we say “Going to the loo”?
- In from the cold: the rise of indoor toilets
- Immerse yourself in the history of baths
- Running through time: A history of taps
- The history of showers
- Spreading warmth around the world: The history of the radiator